A Free Idea: Search Engine for Webpages

Thomas Guettler pan-newsreader at thomas-guettler.de
Sat Aug 24 10:57:45 EDT 2002

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:58:38 +0200, Serge Boiko wrote:

> I've just came up with the idea which IMHO looks attracting. Imagine
> that you have a looong web page and you'd like to find entries of some
> phrase, not all of them are of interest. You run your software on that
> page and it builds a list of all entries; clicking on the entry will
> bring you to the place it occurs. So it's something like pydoc, but
> works on an arbitrary web-page.

Sounds not to difficult: Use Pythons HTML parser. Make a dictonary of all
words of the page. After parsing create a HTML page with all word of the
page (alphabetically sorted)

The problem ist that you can link only to anchors in a page (#foo). So
you need to modifiy the original page and put a mark after each word.

> I would love to do it myself, but I'm about to finish my PhD thesis; so
> I have no chance. If anyone is interested to accomplish such a project I
> would be happy. Or maybe it's already done? Then I would be happy to
> know about that.

I have no time for that. The few hours per week I have for coding in
spare time is reserved for different things.

 thomas