Names and bindings (was Re: Scope of instantiated class)

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Aug 16 06:04:54 EDT 2002

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:

> In article <lku1mpl69n.fsf at pc150.maths.bris.ac.uk>,
> Michael Hudson  <mwh at python.net> wrote:
[...]
> >Common Lisp calls them "places", which is a reasonable name.  It's not
> >that much of an issue in Python as there aren't that many of them
> >(names, attributes, subscripts, slices).  In CL, you can define your
> >own (tho' it's a bit tricky).
>
> What exactly does "place" refer to in Common Lisp?  Is a place capable
> of holding a value, or can places only contain references?

In the HyperSpec glossary (start at

  http://www.lispworks.com/reference/HyperSpec/

) we find

  place n. 1. a form which is suitable for use as a generalized
       reference. 2. the conceptual location referred to by such a
       place[1].

and

  generalized reference n. a reference to a location storing an object
       as if to a variable. (Such a reference can be either to read or
       write the location.)  See Section 5.1 (Generalized
       Reference). See also place.

and

  variable n. a binding in the ``variable'' namespace. See Section
       3.1.2.1.1 (Symbols as Forms).

and so on (the Common Lisp HyperSpec is a modern wonder of the world).

So I guess more of the latter of your two options.

Look up define-setf-expander if you want your head to hurt <wink>.

Cheers,
M.

--
  It's an especially annoying American buzzword for "business use,
  as opposed to consumer, research, or educational use".