Let's Talk About Lambda Functions!

Robert Hanlin findler_lambda at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 14:13:09 EDT 2002

"Britt A. Green" <python at experimentzero.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.1027705851.8443.python-list at python.org>...
> So I know what lambda functions are, they're syntax and how they're used.
> However I'm not sure *why* one would use a lambda function. What's the
> advantage that they offer over a regular function?

Read SICP, it's free online and the best intro to computer science.
http://www-mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

Lambda isn't the best fit for the Python language, just a nice
convenience for those of us who like to think in functional terms.
Just don't use it if you don't see the point.  I use it all the time
in a clean readable way, but I understand why GvR wasn't absolutely
happy, he just got criticism on both sides by Pythonistas and Lispers.

Robert