Tix, pmw and included batteries

Mike Clarkson support at internetdiscovery.com
Fri Aug 9 02:20:31 EDT 2002

On 7 Aug 2002 13:21:24 -0700, hwlgw at hotmail.com (Will Stuyvesant)
wrote:

>Just bought the Python and Tkinter book by J. Grayson.
>It has much about pmw (Python megawidgets).  But um, in the Python 2.3
>dev there is going to be Tix as an included battery.  And I promised
>myself a while ago to only use included batteries if possible when it
>concerns software.  Just download the new version if your batteries
>run out! k:-)
>
>Can anybody tell me about pmw and the future?  Or about what is so
>good about Tix that it made battery status? !:=)

Tix has a major speed advantage over any pure Tk/Tkinter package in
that part of the core is coded in C; this is especially important for
things like tree widgets. For examples, see IDEStudio on

	http://starship.python.net/crew/mike/

Tix also has some significant improvements over Tk itself
by trying to pick up various window manager settings and themes;
see the WmDefault style in

	http://tix.sourceforge.net/dist/tix-8.1.3.tar.gz

There's also a lot of work on applications that work with both
Tcl and Python; see

	http://tix.sourceforge.net/Tixapps/

Mike.