Python for CGI scripting

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Aug 5 10:34:36 EDT 2002

"Dale Strickland-Clark" <dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk> wrote in message
news:tj2tkus12t5g0dgf71d65c5ej0gr04ipfi at 4ax.com...
> We've already used Python for CGI scripting in small projects and it
> worked well.
>
> We're now considering it for web projects with much higher hit rates.
>
> I'm a bit worried about how it will scale.
>
> Each hit on the site will call a CGI script which will load a new copy
> of Python, taking time to load off disk and occupying at least another
> 5MB.
>
> Has anyone else addressed this issue? If so, how?
>
> What are the prospects of a re-usable Python DLL?

You should at least consider the following options:

    1. mod_python

    2. mod_snake

    3. FastCGI

Each of these in some way allows you to take advantage of a Python
interpreter that was already loaded, and each requires a different
accomodation to its conditions in the CGI scripting technique you use.

regards
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/