Tix/Tk Module frustrations HELP!

Mike Clarkson support at internetdiscovery.com
Fri Aug 23 18:42:46 EDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:31:26 -0700, Geoff Gerrietts
<geoff at gerrietts.net> wrote:

>Quoting Jonathan S (python_hacker at example.com):
>> I try to make a root Tix window, yet to no avail:

>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/Tix.py", line 212, in __init__
>>   self.tk.eval('package require Tix')
>> _tkinter.TclError: couldn't load file "/usr/lib/libtix":
>> /usr/lib/libtix.so: undefined symbol: XLowerWindow
>> >>>

>> libtix.so is where it should be in /usr/lib, and the version (so far as I
>> can tell) is 4.1.8.3
>
>This error message is different from what I got, but also very
>similar.
>
>Note the line:
>> _tkinter.TclError: couldn't load file "/usr/lib/libtix":
>
>This isn't just an abbreviation on the part of the linker. Somewhere
>inside Tix or the python wrappers, code is actually looking for
>/usr/lib/libtix -- NOT /usr/lib/libtix.so.
>
>To fix this problem (after almost a day of being very pissed off and
>wondering what the hell was wrong with my linker), I had to put a
>symlink in /usr/lib:
>
>  ln -s /usr/lib/libtix.so /usr/lib/libtix
>
>Everything worked like a charm after that, but it has left me a little
>sour on using Tix.

What OS and version are you using?

This problem is unknown when compiling from sources, so I'm wondering
if you have problems based on the binary distribution. If it's RedHat,
then you should file it as a bug - they hack around on the Tix
distribution in their rpm scripts in ways I'm sure are unnecessary.

I filed 3 bug reports, but AFAIK they haven't changed things.

Mike.