Database experiences in Python: Good or Bad?

Brad Clements bkc at Murkworks.com
Wed Aug 14 09:02:56 EDT 2002

news:7876a8ea.0208122008.4d226624 at posting.google.com...
news:<3d57f564$1_7 at goliath.newsgroups.com>...

> > I am in the middle of "making the switch" to SAPDB.
> > So .. I still haven't tried it with Zope yet, hopefully later today
>
>   What's the status of ZsapdbDA?  It appears to have been unmaintained
> for quite a while.  However, since ZsapdbDA is "derived from
> ZOracleDA/ZMySQLDB" and based on SAP's official, mature Python
> modules, perhaps the initial version was stable enough?

It seems to be okay, but I have found a few typo's that might be fixed in
CVS.

What's killing me today is that sapdbapi doesn't represent times/dates as
class objects, like I got with gvibDA.. I have a lot of XSLT code that uses
xml_pickle objects.. and a pickled timestamp from gvib doesn't look anything
like that from SAP.

In fact, SAP timestamps are 20 character strings.. really ugly.

:-(