Build bugs in Python 2.2.1?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 11 05:19:04 EDT 2002

Jonathan Hogg <jonathan at onegoodidea.com> writes:

> This is the easiest part. The interface already exists. Generating a
> Modules/Setup file is already done by configure for the thread and signal
> modules. Extending this procedure to correctly configure the other modules
> would be trivial.

Please understand that this option has been explicitly considered, and
has been rejected in favour of a distutils-based build approach.

> I think it would make Python a lot more useful on UNIX-style platforms if it
> could be built entirely from configure. Hand editing compile flags in
> configuration files is something I hope to slowly eradicate from the face of
> UNIX-dom.

Then improve setup.py.

> I don't see how any of this would impact the non-autoconf platforms, since
> these already need special procedures to build. It would be fairly simple to
> reduce setup.py to
>
>     if platform in ['mac','win32']:
>         # a hundred lines of special pleading
>     else:
>         # slurp in the configure-generated settings from Modules/Setup.conf

Yes, but this would be counter-productive. The value of setup.py and
distutils is that build procedures can be shared across platforms.

Regards.
Martin