How do they do this? Can python?

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Tue Aug 6 23:27:57 EDT 2002

Terry Hancock wrote:
> I won't quote the spam itself, but I was intrigued by the
> noise.  How does this text get generated, and can one find
> a python module that does as well? I notice that this appears
> to be grammatically (syntactically) correct, despite being
> semantic nonsense, e.g.:

<obscure and ancient Net Lore>

Does anyone here remember Bimmler (aka Rob Pike) at AT&T labs?
Bimmler was Pike's alter ego who "took over" net.suicide.
(See http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bnews.rabbit.1105)

In the beginning Pike did things manually, but eventually,
he used some research on text processing they were doing at the Labs to
automate the process.  As I recall, the software took the
daily output of a variety of selected USENET groups, stirred it
together and produced output that seemed like legitimate English
syntax, but was absolute semantic gibberish much like the
recent spammage.

If you ever get a change to hear Pike tell the story, it is side-splittingly
funny...

</obscure etc.>

Tim Daneliuk
tundra at tundraware.com