Could Python supplant Java?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Wed Aug 21 05:54:47 EDT 2002

* Bo M. Maryniuck <b.maryniuk at forbis.lt> [2002-08-21 11:26 +0200]:
> On Wednesday 21 August 2002 11:16, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> > And/or a faster compiler. g++ is about the slowest I know. Though it's
> > still not bad for its price :-)
>
> What you mean by "slowest" -- runtime or compile time.

Compile time - I measured Visual C++ is faster, and my feeling is that
Borland C++ and Intel C++ are faster, too (and freely available for at
least noncommercial use).

My uninformed guess is that it's the lack of precompiled headers and the
generic backend for creating the actual machine code that's slowing gcc
down.
--
Gerhard Häring
OPUS GmbH München