(slightly OT): Python and linux - very cool

Mart van de Wege mvdwege.usenet at drebbelstraat20.dyndns.org
Wed Aug 7 17:59:36 EDT 2002

On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 16:43:06 +0200, Mr. Berserker wrote:

>> Anyway, they had suggested python as a good first language
>
> Definitely. In the future, Python will likely replace BASHI*T as a
> learning language, the difference being that Python is probably worth
> it for serious projects, from what I know of it. I ought to seriously
> invest some time in Python; its syntax, which looks like pseudocode,
> but less scribbly, seems very interesting. Does it make interpretation
> slow?

Actually, Python is pretty quick for an interpreted language. This is
mostly because it is a byte-code interpreter.

While not as fast as the Java VM, Python does get pretty decent speeds out
of it's scripts once they're compiled to bytecode. The fact that modules
get stored in bytecode form after the first run makes makes it even better
(effectively the interpreter caches precompiled modules, and only
recompiles when the source gets changed).

Note though, that Python does not rely on a complete VM yet, like Java
does. There are however plans to port Python to the Parrot VM, so that it
will share a common VM with Perl. I am watching with interest, as I really
like the combination of Perl for the heavy lifting on the back end, and
Python for creating maintainable front-ends (Python *really* shines in
writing GUI code).

Mart

--
"Time expands and then contracts
When you're spinning in the grip of someone