Could Python supplant Java?

Steve Austin joeking at merseymail.com
Wed Aug 21 11:20:43 EDT 2002

> [FISH]
[snipped...]
> But consider a file-like object (the canonical example of polymorphism).
> All I care about is that this thing can be opened, closed, read, written
> to,
> etc.  Do I really care that it's a "file" type?  Nope.

You would if instead of a "file" type it *actually* held
a tuna sandwich!  :-)

(You can open and close a tuna sandwich, but have you
ever tried to read one?  Urh!  Messy!  :-)

Besides, this example is strong/weak typing and poly-
morphism, surely?  I was taking about the virtues of
dynamic vs static typing.

--
-FISH-   ><>

<joeking at merseymail.com>