can python run a free 'make' utility/module on Windows?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Fri Aug 23 15:48:31 EDT 2002

* greg keraunen <gk at proliberty.com> [2002-08-23 11:59 -0700]:
> I am a newbie so please excuse ignorance.
>
> I hope to use Python for porting a linux project to Windows but need to
> be able to somehow tie in to a make utility on Windows.
>
> Does anyone know of a free/open-source make utility on Windows that
> could be accessed and distributed with Python?

GNU make in the mingw version (native Windows):
site: http://mingw.sourceforge.net/
downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435

> [...] The other thing I was hoping to find is rsync on Windows. Is
> that possible?

http://www.lexa.ru/sos/ - search for rsync

You could also just use Cygwin, a Posix emulation library for Windows
with lots of available packages, among those Python, GNU make, rsync,
OpenSSH, and tons of others, including XFree86. The Cygwin library
itself is GPLed, but you can make a deal with Redhat for alternative
licensing. If you only distribute binaries of packaged tools, like GNU
make or rsync, that's not a problem, however. Just be sure to include
all DLL dependencies, including the Cygwin library (libcygwin1.dll,
IIRC, but just use ldd to find out) if you do so.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930