Tiny computers vs. Big Languages

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue Aug 27 17:29:43 EDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:

> Anyway, I'm glad that these performance enhancements where quite
> noticeable in an inner loop of a real world example.  On the other
> hand, a 20 % better perfomence isn't really good enough for my
> purposes.  I'd like to ask whether anybody has an idea about how to
> tackle algorithmic problems of this kind. Perhaps I'my spoiiled by
> implementing stuff like this in low level languages like asm, pli or c
> too often.   Don't misunderstand it as a critique - it annoys me that
> implementing "compare" in c or assembler feels "more natural" to me
> (and is _much_ faster)  than implementing the function in Python.

You might want to check out Pyrex (by Greg Ewing) and Psyco (by Armin
Rigo), which implement two different approaches to speeding up Python.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au             (alt) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/               |        Australia