convince me

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Mon Aug 5 12:34:32 EDT 2002

Max M wrote:
> Kyle Babich wrote:
>
>> I know I want to learn C,
>

> Postpone this as long as possible ... Not because c is bad, but because
> it is hard. You will have a lot more fun developing in Python as you
> will se results much faster. Python will also teach you the "right" way
> of writing software much faster. Which can be transfered to c when that
> time comes.

Have to beg differ. I once red a comment (I think it was in a German
newsgroup) from a 42 old developer (who wanted just to become a hobby
programmer on Linux) that he found it much more straightforward to
program in C than in Python. Note he was at that time a beginner and
searched for help a few weeks ago in that specific newsgroup whether he
should learn C or Python or Perl or Pascal or ... He wrote that
everything in C makes sense to him.

I did not follow the comments in the following but the post surprised me
that one finds C more easily to grasp than Python, especially when he is
a novice in programming.

S. Gonzi