Fixing Leo and Idle OS shutdown bug?

Mike Clarkson support at internetdiscovery.com
Fri Aug 9 01:43:42 EDT 2002

On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:30:42 GMT, "Edward K. Ream" <edream at tds.net>
wrote:

>Leo does not prompt the user to save unsaved files when Windows 2K or XP is
>shutting down.  Neither does IDLE.

No Tkinter based Tk app will catch the OS message, because Tk doesn't.

>Is there any way to interrupt the shutdown process in TK?  I have tried
>binding to Destroy or WM_DELETE_WINDOW for the top level window, like this,
>with no effect:

It's WM_DELETE_WINDOW for the normal program exit, but the OS shutting
down message is WM_QUERYENDSESSION  and  WM_ENDSESSION.
Problem is that wm_protocol doesn't catch either of these messages.

To change this you have to change Tk.  Attached is an old posting
requesting this change to Tk, but AFAIK it still hasn't been
implemented (sorry about the line wrapping).

Mike.