Py2Exe Problem - warning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Aug 2 04:00:13 EDT 2002

"Steve Greiner" <steve_greiner at pobox.com> wrote in message news:ed6b47bf.0208011746.4c351dd9 at posting.google.com...
> I can't figure out something (I admit, I'm a little dense) that
> doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone else, so I'm assuming I'm
> doing something wrong.  I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to
> point me to the obvious.
>
> I'm trying to make a stand-alone executable, which seems build just
> fine.  But, when I run it, I get a constant stream of:
>
> warning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
> warning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
> warning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
> .
> .
> .
>
> until I hit <Ctrl>-<Break>.  So, I tried a (very) small sample program
> that also fails whenever I import other modules.  If I comment out the
> import sys line, it runs fine.  Here's to code and output:
>

> I've grabbed the latest version of Python and Py2Exe this week, but
> perhaps I've got my configuration screwed up, nonetheless.

Probably. This problem should be gone.
I suggest you remove your build and dist directory, and try again.
If this doesn't help, completely remove the python22\lib\site-packages\py2exe
directory, install  py2exe again and it should work.

I had no problems building your sample with py2exe-0.3.3 and python2.2.1
(although I use win2k, you seem to use win98).

Thomas