PIL Compiler problem

Steven Faulconer sfaulconer at cfl.rr.com
Fri Aug 23 15:26:23 EDT 2002

Hello everyone,

I've posted this to the PIL mailing list, but haven't had any hits, so I
thought I'd forward it on here. I'm just getting started in learning
python, and since most of my normal work involves image manipulation, I
thought I would give the PIL a run through. I'm having a bit of
difficulty getting it installed properly. Quick specs:

Linux (Crux 0.9.3)
Tcl/Tk 8.4b1
Python 2.2.1 (installed and working ok)
GCC 2.95.3
PIL 1.1.3

I've compiled the Imaging core library (libImaging.a) without a problem,
I then run 'python setup.py build' and I get the following error:

---<snip>---
gcc -DNDEBUG -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -IlibImaging
-I/usr/include/python2.2 -c _imagingtk.c -o
build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/_imagingtk.o -O2 -march=i686 -pipe
gcc -DNDEBUG -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -IlibImaging
-I/usr/include/python2.2 -c Tk/tkImaging.c -o
build/temp.linux-i686-2.2/tkImaging.o -O2 -march=i686 -pipe
Tk/tkImaging.c: In function `PyImagingPhoto':
Tk/tkImaging.c:165: too few arguments to function `Tk_PhotoPutBlock'
Tk/tkImaging.c:175: too few arguments to function `Tk_PhotoPutBlock'
Tk/tkImaging.c:182: too few arguments to function `Tk_PhotoPutBlock'

Attempting to build the modules by hand (make -f Makefile.pre.in
boot;make) gets the same message. Obviously, I've got something
misconfigured/broke. I understand the error message, just not quite sure
how to resolve it. Does PIL not support Tcl/Tk 8.4b1?

Thanks for any information you can send.

Steven