Need Python advocacy link or document ASAP :)

GerritM gmuller at worldonline.nl
Wed Aug 7 13:07:14 EDT 2002

"Gabe Newcomb" <Gabe.Newcomb at noetix.com> schreef in bericht
Hi all:
As you may have seen in my previous messages, I'm trying to
retain my right to use Python here at work, and maybe even influence my
coworkers. Any sort of doc that explains *why* Python is a productive
language would be highly appreciated. I know I've seen something like
this in the past...in the meantime I'm going to be looking on Google.

Thanks much,
Gabe Newcomb

here is a link to a more or less objective measure of programming languages
viability:

http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

The TIOBE Programming Community index gives an indication of the popularity
of programming languages. It is updated once a month. The ratings are based
on the world-wide availability of skilled engineers, courses and third party
vendors. The popular search engine Google is used to calculate the rating.
Observe that it is not about how many lines of code of a certain language
are in use.

Programming languages that rate at least 1.5 are considered to be mainstream
languages. In other words, if you are working on a large software system and
its main programming language has a rating less than 1.5, it is likely that
you are locked in and software migration might be beneficial.

The index can be used to rate whether your programming skills are still up
to date or to make a strategic decision about what programming language
should be adopted when starting to build a new software system.

regards Gerrit
--
www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/