Could Python supplant Java?

Tom Davies tomdavies at optushome.com.au
Mon Aug 19 06:01:56 EDT 2002

David Brown wrote:

[snip]
>     5) The use of "__" for hiding private members is genial - users of a
> class can access private members if they really *really* have to, without
> making them fully visible to everyone else.  In stricter languages like
> C++ or Java, class members typically start of private but get changed to
> being public during development when it turns out that they are needed
> externally. With python, interfaces can be designed neatly and stay neat.

No, any competent developer adds accessor functions, which still hide the
implementation.

[snip]

>     2) Java has strongly typed variables that are declared before use,
> Python has run-time typing and variables are defined as needed.  Each
> system has its advantages and disadvantages.

That would kill Python for me. I like compile time type-checking.

Tom

--
"Optimism is a duty. The future is open. It is not predetermined. No one
can predict it, except by chance. We all contribute to determining it by