Could Python supplant Java?

Rex Ballard rballard at open4success.com
Fri Aug 23 21:34:03 EDT 2002

Nick Ruisi wrote:

> .net compiled code can run on linux with the mono CLR
> (http://www.go-mono.com). One can use the mono tool kit to write /
> compile .Net code on a linux box, without ever touching a
> microsoft product.

Not entirely true.  I spend quite a bit of time discussing this
with Michael Icaza.  By his own estimate, he has about 20% of the
engineering required to actually configure .NET.  While it is true
that he has a marginally functional C# compiler, the "family
jewels" are still controlled by Microsoft.  Keep in mind that .NET
is not only a set of development languages, but also a set of
components, schemas, and infrastructures, most of which have NOT
been put into any form of Open Source.

>  The compiler and SDK for C# and VB.Net is a free (albeit
> large) download. Although I don't like VB.Net as a language, C# is
> fine. It's just like java.

The fundamental difference is that Java was designed with the
intent that all of the components and parts had to be capable of
running on ANY platform which supports Java.  Microsoft's .NET not
only has no such requirement, but is considered counter to
Microsoft's strategic practices.

Microsoft has provided enough to create the illusion of
availability, but at the same time, has witheld the most critical
components.  They did the same thing with DCOM when CORBA
threatened to establish a standard which would have been  beyond
Microsoft's control.  Just as Softwawre AG began to create the
ability to create and integrate with existing Windows components,
and especially when they started to create UNIX Client
capabilities, Microsoft pulled the plug.

Microsoft MIGHT be willing to offer server capabilities, but they
will not easily or willingly surrender those components which would
permit the implementation of a Linux desktop interface to .NET.

--
Rex Ballard
Enterprise/B2B IT Architect