I'm coming from Tcl-world ...

Daniel Fackrell unlearned at DELETETHIS.learn2think.org
Tue Aug 6 13:15:29 EDT 2002

"Andreas Leitgeb" <Andreas.Leitgeb at siemens.at> wrote in message
news:slrnal016g.c05.Andreas.Leitgeb at pc7499.gud.siemens.at...
> Christos  TZOTZIOY  Georgiou <DLNXPEGFQVEB at spammotel.com> wrote:
> > [example snipped, because it turned out too trivial to convey the point]
>
> new example:
>    for (<init>; <cond-a>; <incr>) {
>        if (<cond-b>) {
>           try { // is C++, but doesn't matter
>              <code-a>
>              if (<cond-c>) continue;
>              <code-b>
>           } catch(...) {
>              <code-c>
>           }
>           <code-d>
>        } else {
>           <code-e>
>        }
>    }
> Python: ?
>   With some effort, one can surely craft equivalent code in Python,
>   but I bet it will become considerably longer, and likely you'll
>   have to repeat some of the code-blocks, or introduce new flag-variables.
> point taken ?

<init>
while <cond-a>:
    <incr>
    if <cond-b>:
        try:
            <code-a>
            if <cond-c>:
                continue
            <code-b>
        except (...):
            <code-c>
        <code-d>
    else:
        <code-e>

It appears to translate in a rather straightforward manner to me.

If you are concerned about the lack of the i++ equivalent, then start the
loop one lower.  If you are also dependent on the side effect of i being one
greater at the end of the loop, increment it after the loop, but it seems
that such a case as that would be rather rare.

But in any case, I think the only code that might be repeated would be along
the lines of:

i += 1

, and then only if you are dependent on i being incremented at the end of
the loop.

Does that help at all?

--
Daniel Fackrell (unlearned at learn2think.org)
When we attempt the impossible, we can experience true growth.