Tk mouse wheel events?

Anton Vredegoor anton at vredegoor.doge.nl
Fri Aug 16 05:40:10 EDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:14:05 GMT, "Edward K. Ream" <edream at tds.net> wrote:

>> from Tkinter import *
>>
>> def roll(event):
>>     print event.delta
>>
>> frame = Frame(width=200, height=200)
>> frame.pack()
>> frame.focus_set() # wheel events goes to focussed window
>> frame.bind("<MouseWheel>", roll)
>
>Thanks for this code.  Alas, on my XP machine, the roll handler is called,
>and after a few calls tcl83.dll crashes.  I don't think I've ever seen a
>hard tcl crash like this before.
>
>I didn't explicitly call focus_set(), and I suppose that shouldn't matter:
>the roll handler is only called when the canvas has focus.  The Text widgets
>work properly as they always have.

On my system (windows 98se) tcl83.dll also crashes after a frew scroll clicks.
Do text widgets scroll 'automatically', I mean without explicitly binding
<MouseWheel>? If so, I think the source of the problem could be that there's
some conflict between automatic and explicit binding of mousewheel events.
Just speculation of course.

Anton.