stylistic question -- optional return value

Michael Tiller mtiller at ford.com
Wed Aug 28 15:33:03 EDT 2002

Well,

  If I understand your problem, I have seen some analogs in numerical
computations where it is beneficial to do what you describe (e.g. reuse
common subexpressions to compute a related value).  Because of this,
languages like MATLAB and Modelica (I believe you know Dag Brueck?) have
tried to make allowances for such situations.

  I only learned Python last week so take all this with a big grain of salt,
but doesn't this essentially do what you want:

>>> def evalF(t, der):
            ret = {};
            ret["x"] = 2*t**2+(t-5)
            if der: ret["dxdt"] = 4*t+1
            return ret

>>> evalF(2,1)
{'dxdt': 9, 'x': 5}
>>> evalF(2,0)
{'x': 5}

Then you could just pick the answer you want out by name?!?  Does this fall
within your constraints?  Again, remember I'm very new to Python so if I
missed something obvious, my apologies.  It seems like you could do a
similar thing with lists (1-lists seem to be less confusing than 1-tuples).
Or, are you trying to avoid the mutable collection types altogether?

--
Michael Tiller
Ford Motor Company

news:yu99znv6c0zx.fsf at europa.research.att.com...