Women programmers (was: Re: XXXSPAMXXX Re: PENIS ENLARGEMENT 1223)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Aug 17 16:11:16 EDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 06:56:46PM +0100, a.clarke11 wrote:
>And more seriously, why is it that most contributors here are male? Are
>most programmers male, if so why? Are we more singleminded, logical,patient
>and analytical? surely not?

Evelyn, my SO, has passed along to me a meme about how women hit their
social stride earlier, and therefore have better things to do when the guys
are in their larval stage.  Therefore, the tend to miss the larval stage
(as defined in the Hackers Dictionary).  I suspect this is particularly
important in the creation of the hard-core programmer geek...

She got this meme from Kirrily Robert, from an article that she wrote:

   http://netizen.com.au/~skud/articles/chick2.html

This URL may no longer be available -- I'm up in a small town in the
mountains without net connectivity as I write this.  She also pointed me at
the URL:

   http://marsneedswomen.pm.org/

Sean
--
 A little help at the right time is better than a lot of help at the wrong
 time.