Build bugs in Python 2.2.1?

Jonathan Hogg jonathan at onegoodidea.com
Sat Aug 10 06:52:18 EDT 2002

On 9/8/2002 19:50, in article m3lm7f3lzt.fsf at mira.informatik.hu-berlin.de,
"Martin v. Loewis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Please understand that this is intentional - setup.py would otherwise
> not find certain modules it can build.

Being intentional doesn't necessarily make it correct. Adding /usr/local to
the library/include path will only enable modules which happen to have
dependencies in that place, and in the worst case may result in linking to
entirely the wrong libraries.

The module build process should honour the same conventions that the core
build process does (and indeed all other autoconf-style packages do).

[To be honest, I think the automagic setup.py is a mistake and the
functionality from that should be extracted out into configure with
configure then generating a correct Modules/Setup file.]

Jonathan