Could Python supplant Java?

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Thu Aug 22 00:11:38 EDT 2002

Nicola Musatti wrote:

> This almost
> sounds as a good reason to stick to statically typed languages: at
> least, half the tests have already been written for you.

It doesn't work like that. I don't know about anyone else,
but when I write tests, I don't design half of them to
catch type errors and the other half to catch logic
errors. Rather, they're all designed to test functionality
of the program. If one of them fails, it might be due to
a type error, or it might be due to something else. Either
way, it gets caught.

If I were using a statically typed language, I would
still need all of the same tests. In other words, using
a dynamically typed language doesn't require you to
write any tests that you shouldn't be writing in any
case.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,