Could Python supplant Java?

Dan Johnson danieljohnson at vzavenue.net
Fri Aug 23 06:50:24 EDT 2002

"d2002xx" <d2002xx at myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:20020823090320.1fbe50af.d2002xx at myrealbox.com...

> > > But you didn't answer about rebuilding the kernel, or you just
> > > can't answer?
> >
> > You can't do that without paying Microsoft a whole lot
> > of money.
>
> Hmmmm.... http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html

You do realize that that paper is not a serious argument,
right? It's more an insult than an argument, pouring contempt
on people who earn a living in software.

It's also strongly divorced from reality.

> > But then again, you really shouldn't have to. If
> > kernel hacking is required as a normal development
> > practice, something is deeply wrong.
>
> No, it's just for fun. But why I *can't* do this on my box?

Because you haven't paid for it. I know you want
to enjoy the benefits of Microsoft's work without
paying them more than a nominal sum for it, but
there's no way a very large project like Windows NT
could be viable if Microsoft didn't have the power
to forbid that.

I know, RMS says programmers will write software
even if not paid for it as such. And we will, too, but it
won't be Windows NT. You might want to visit my
web page:

[http://www.vzavenue.net/~danieljohnson/]

You will find there such software as I write for
free. Also various rants, but never mind those.

But it's all odds and ends, experiments in
technology. Such are the things that catch
my imagination.

On the other hand, when I write for free, I
mean it: no string attached, do anything you
want with it.

And that's more than RMS can say, what he
writes is always under a highly restrictive
license, which would be meaningless but for
the intellectual property rights he condemns.

[snip]
> > I think you may find you are mistaken on this point;
> > while it is undoubtable true that most Linux programs
> > are written that way, Visual Basic is depressingly common
> > on Windows.
>
> .... damned... VB.... (I just hate any thing derived from basic, don't
> mind :)

It's a bit of a throwback to Microsoft's roots. Fear
not, MS seems to be favoring C# these days.