What is __reduce__? (was: copy.deepcopy(): is it bug or intended behavior?)

Benjamin Han bhan at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 1 01:04:46 EDT 2002

So I traced a little bit to uncover the mystery. in copy.py the deepcopy() is
defined as:

def deepcopy(x, memo = None):
    """Deep copy operation on arbitrary Python objects.

    See the module's __doc__ string for more info.
    """

    if memo is None:
        memo = {}
    d = id(x)
    if memo.has_key(d):
        return memo[d]
    try:
        copierfunction = _deepcopy_dispatch[type(x)]
    except KeyError:
        try:
            copier = x.__deepcopy__
        except AttributeError:
            try:
                reductor = x.__reduce__
            except AttributeError:
                raise error, \
                      "un-deep-copyable object of type %s" % type(x)
            else:
                y = _reconstruct(x, reductor(), 1, memo)
        else:
            y = copier(memo)
    else:
        y = copierfunction(x, memo)
    memo[d] = y
    return y

At the point when Bar instance is deepcopied, type(x) returns <class
'__main__.Bar'> therefore statement

copierfunction = _deepcopy_dispatch[type(x)]

generated KeyErro. The chain reaction of exceptions stopped when

reductor = x.__reduce__

But I can't find __reduce__ in Library and Langauge references. Hint anyone?
Thanks!

PS. this explained why defining my own __deepcopy__ worked. Is it a standard
practice that whenever you derive a class you have to write __deepcopy__ to
take care of the super-class copying?

Ben