Python embedded - linking problem on Linux - trying again

Kim Petersen kp at kyborg.dk
Tue Aug 13 02:23:20 EDT 2002

Gerhard Häring wrote:
> In article <3D57C830.4070909 at kyborg.dk>, Kim Petersen wrote:
>
>>Gerhard Häring wrote:

>>>What is your problem?
>>>
>>>If it is finding which libraries to link against when embedding Python, does
>>>this FAQTS entry help?
>>>
>>>http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/11864/fid/606
>>
>>unfortunatly not ;(
>>
>>My problem is that i'm embedding - not extending.
>

> And that's what my answer in the FAQTs entry refers to, it was only for the
> wrong question ;-)
>

>>And when doing so, i miss the references to the dynamic linked modules (like
>>_tkinter.so) _unless_ i specifically link them with the new .so (the embedded
>>interpretor)
>

> Erh. Most probably that's not the case. It's just that modules like aren't
> found, right?

probably - i haven't thought that way around ;-) But i still have
trouble grasping this .... if python can find /usr/lib/python<version>/
+ /site-packages/ - when importing standard .py[c] - then why isn't it
capable of finding the .so's ???? In fact what really makes this strange
(for me) is that it can find my postgresql import (pgdb.py) but cannot
find the _pg.so which is located in the same directory .../site-packages/

>>- from my point of view i cannot understand why the embedded python doesn't
>>look at the running standard interpretors path and setup - and use those
>>modules (just like it does with the .py[c] modules.....
>

> There is no magic to it, just do the same as the Python interpreter does :-) I
> only ever used embedding for debugging my extension modules, and just added the
> releveant directories in my PYTHONPATH environment variable. If you don't mind
> hacks, you can always modify your sys.path appropriately from your main app.
> AFAIR pythonrun.c is the right place to look at for insight.

Hmm - i thought i followed the instructions on setting up the
interpretor by the book - but i must have overlooked something then,
i'll look through pythonrun.c when i get time (prolly first late today
or start tomorrow - real life is pressurring on other things ;-)

> Gerhard

Thank you so far.

--
Med Venlig Hilsen / Regards