pydoc index file?

Kenneth Pronovici pronovic at skyjammer.com
Fri Aug 16 00:36:49 CEST 2002

I've recently started using pydoc, and I'm happy with the results I
get for individual files.  It's nice to be able to generate clean
documentation with so little effort.

This doesn't seem to quite work the way I expected, though.  Here's an
example:

   .../projects/cvs/cback> ls
   cback*  cback.1  cback.conf  cback.conf.5  CedarBackup/  CVS/  notes.txt

   .../projects/cvs/cback> ls CedarBackup/
   cdr.py  config.py  CVS/  exceptions.py  filesystem.py  functional.py
   __init__.py

   .../projects/cvs/cback> pydoc -w CedarBackup.cdr
   wrote CedarBackup.cdr.html

   .../projects/cvs/cback> pydoc -w CedarBackup/filesystem
   wrote CedarBackup/filesystem.html

Ok, so far so good.  I think I understand how this works.  Now, pydoc's
help says:

    If <name> contains a '/', it is treated as a filename; if
    it names a directory, documentation is written for all the contents.

so I expected this to work:

   .../projects/cvs/cback> pydoc -w CedarBackup/
   wrote __init__.html
   no Python documentation found for 'cdr'
   no Python documentation found for 'config'
   wrote exceptions.html
   no Python documentation found for 'filesystem'
   no Python documentation found for 'functional'

but, as you can see, it doesn't.

Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?

Is there a good way to generate pydoc documentation for an entire
package, including some sort of index file for the package (I'm
imagining Javadoc here)?

Thanks!

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic-at-ieee-org>
      - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759