Problem with assigning variables of type List

Paul Foley see at below
Tue Aug 20 08:30:41 EDT 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:34:13 -0400, Peter Hansen wrote:

> Nope.  Assignment works by rebinding the name to something else,
> in effect changing the reference.  There is no pass by value in
> Python.  (Although somebody may still refute this successfully,
> but I don't think you have so far.)

Python is pass by value.  A lot of people seem to be confused about
what that means.

Click here: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3222349504568437%40naggum.net

[And assignment doesn't have anything to do with binding, either, but
that's another argument]

> Maybe the issue is that these conventional terms do not apply
> to Python as well as they do to more conventional languages...

They apply just as well to Python as any other language.  There's
nothing very unusual about Python.

--
Just because we Lisp programmers are better than everyone else is no
excuse for us to be arrogant.                                -- Erann Gat

(setq reply-to
  (concatenate 'string "Paul Foley " "<mycroft" '(#\@) "actrix.gen.nz>"))