Promoting Python as web application development language

Christopher A. Craig list-python at ccraig.org
Sat Aug 24 01:33:39 EDT 2002

Paul Rubin <phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com> writes:

> I don't know about Tcl, but I think Python isn't as well-developed a
> system for web programming as Perl or PHP.  The only production
> application shell / template system I know of is Zope, which is
> overcomplex and apparently dog slow.  (There are some other ones like
> PyHP that are coming along but are still in beta).

(I may get back to topic slowly, but I'll make it :-) ) I'm flattered,
but I wouldn't exactly call PyHP 'coming along'.  I started that when
I was mildly enamoured with the concept (from PHP) of embedding code
in HTML.  I have since done a moderately large project in PHP and
decided that it is much easier to embed the HTML in the code.  If
somebody wants to take it over, that'd be great with me.

Regardless, I think plain vanilla Python is a terrific language for
moderately sized web based projects (maybe even large ones, but I've
never done a really large one).  It's not that hard to write your own
templates, and the cgi module provides an excellent interface to any
CGI data you might need.

I do agree, however, that the pickle/cookie problem is quite
substantial, and that Python needs some easy way to embed complex
objects safely in cookies to be a first class web language, though.

--
Christopher A. Craig <list-python at ccraig.org>
Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse -- Larry Wall