[ANN] SimpleParse 2.0.0 final released

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Sun Aug 25 16:38:39 EDT 2002

I have just released version 2.0.0 of the SimpleParse parser-generation
system.  Version 2.0.0 is a major upgrade from SimpleParse 1.0 include a
significant set of new features and a completely rewritten core engine,
but it should still be compatible with your 1.0 grammars.

     http://simpleparse.sourceforge.net/

for optimal operation, I would suggest using Python 2.2.x and
mxTextTools 2.1.x, but the package should run (though in some cases with
subtle errors, particularly when using mxTextTools 2.0.x) under 1.5.2
and above with mxTextTools 2.0.x and above.

About SimpleParse...

SimpleParse is a BSD-licensed Python package providing a simple parser
generator for use with the mxTextTools text-tagging engine. SimpleParse
allows you to generate tagging tables for use with the text-tagging
engine directly from your EBNF grammar.

Unlike most parser generators, SimpleParse generates single-pass parsers
(there is no distinct tokenization stage), an approach taken from the
predecessor project (mcf.pars) which attempted to create "autonomously
parsing regex objects". The resulting parsers are not as generalized as
those created by, for instance, the Earley algorithm, but they do tend
to be useful for the parsing of computer file formats and the like (as
distinct from natural language and similar "hard" parsing problems).

See:
     http://simpleparse.sourceforge.net/
for details and documentation.

Have fun,