busy indicator

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Aug 7 08:01:24 EDT 2002

[Peter Hansen]

> But be aware of the potential for such a spinner to be sitting merrily
> spinning away indicating the successful progression of the other thread,
> when in fact the other thread is stuck or done, or locked up somehow,

[...]

I still remember having been shocked (but I was fairly young) when Lotus
1-2-3 displayed a flashing "WAIT" (using the blink bit of the video card),
and then froze. :-)

Progress indicators should ideally be tied to the mechanics of progress.
Despite these comments, the spinning demo was nice! :-)