Promoting Python as web application development language

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Fri Aug 23 09:39:44 EDT 2002

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe at paniq.net> writes:

> I don't know about Tcl, but I think Python isn't as well-developed a
> system for web programming as Perl or PHP.  The only production
> application shell / template system I know of is Zope, which is
> overcomplex and apparently dog slow. (There are some other ones like
> PyHP that are coming along but are still in beta).

There are several web tools for use with Python.

> Python doesn't
> have an SQL interface module in its standard library like PHP.

Python has a nice dbi spec that supports a lot of databases. Any db I
would care to use anyhow.

> The
> indentation syntax is nice for normal programming but it's a pain in
> the neck for template programming where you're mixing Python code and
> HTML and you more often want to jam multiple statements on a line.

Hmmm that is a bad way to code. There are som systems that use it
though. I would recommend that you use cheeta instead, or perhaps even
Zope Page Templates as they can be used outside of Zope, to get better
seperation of logic and layout.

Because Python is a good and practical language it usually has several
solutions to the problems that a 'language' like php has only one
solution to.

This makes it more likely that Python has a future in web development
than a language like php.

regards Max M