(slightly OT): Python and linux - very cool

Mart van de Wege mvdwege.usenet at drebbelstraat20.dyndns.org
Thu Aug 8 13:14:37 EDT 2002

On Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:25:16 +0200, Michael Hudson wrote:

> Mart van de Wege <mvdwege.usenet at drebbelstraat20.dyndns.org> writes:
<lots of misunderstandings about the Python VM>

> And this has been the case in Python for, more-or-less, ever.  If
> you're knowledge is out of date, then you must have known Python circa
> version 0.9 (and I don't know if that interpreted a parse tree -- I
> just know it was different).

Euhm, I meant to say that Python's VM was similarly high-level like
Perl's. The parse-tree comment was meant to apply to the Perl VM. Sorry if
I was a little unclear there.

I am not up to compiler theory and VM design. I know three types of
languages: Assembly (6502), C, and highlevel (Perl and Python mostly), so
it's obvious I can be a little unclear in these cases.

Thanks for clarifying things to me. Obviously, despite the design
difference, Perl and Python have a higher-level VM than Java, right? Not
that it matters to me, I vastly prefer both of them over all other
high-level languages, and the speed is not important to me, as I don't
write things that need the performance anyway.

Mart

--
"Time expands and then contracts
When you're spinning in the grip of someone