VM Architecture.

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sun Aug 11 14:28:32 EDT 2002

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:59:53 GMT, Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath <rvprasad at cis.ksu.edu> wrote:

>Phlip wrote:
>> Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am looking for documentation about Python VM architecture to
>>>understand how does one compile python code to bytecode and how
>>>does the vm assimilate it. I need to know this to check if a project is
        ^^^
If your project depends on "the" VM's not changing from Python version to version,
you may have a problem. The VM is not part of the language definition, nor specified
to be unchanging, AFAIK. I.e., I don't think a new version is guaranteed to run older
version byte code. (Not usually a problem, since the compiler automatically generates
new byte codes from source to replace stale bytecode, but it can be a problem when
source is not available).

Regards,
Bengt Richter