'This sound familiar to any Tk-on-Win expert? (was: tkinter or wxpython?)

Jeff Hobbs JeffH at ActiveState.com
Fri Aug 16 02:49:56 EDT 2002

Cameron Laird wrote:
> James Kew <james.kew at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >FWIW, I wish someone had pointed out _this_ bug more clearly before I
> >started using tkinter:
> >http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=216289&group_id=5470&atid=105470
> >
> >as so far my experience has been that my noddy tkinter GUIs run fine on
> >WinNT4 but crash _hard_ on exit ~30% of the time on Win98. ActivePython 2.2;
> >not a whisper of known tkinter issues in the release notes or documentation.
> >
> >Granted, the bug reports point the finger at Tcl/Tk rather than tkinter, but
> >it's rather put me off considering tkinter for production solutions in our
> >largely Windows-based shop.
> 'Doesn't make sense to me.  While I happen to be typing
> just now on a Win98-connected keyboard, I have yet to
> see the symptom.  'Twould be nice to settle it, though.

I was able to repeat this using Python/Tkinter on Win98.  It only shows
up there (or perhaps Win9x in general), not on NT/2K/XP.  I cannot,
however, repeat this problem with just Tcl/Tk, or in my limited playing
with Ruby/Tk (which binds to Tk in a similar manner as Python).

The simplest solution for Tkinter users is to launch with pythonw, not
python.  That doesn't exhibit the problem at all.

I believe it is due to the manner in which Tk/Tcl is being torn down on
exit, but the bug is so annoying that debugging it has not been easy.

--
  Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
  Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/