Could Python supplant Java?

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Wed Aug 21 19:50:16 EDT 2002

goose wrote:
> what kind of a system is that ? every system I've worked on
> (other than windows) came with at least *ONE* compiler ...
> and most let you rebuild the kernel as well ...

You just haven't worked on many different kinds of systems.

> > second because most tools
> > shipped with the OS are out of date by the time they're
> > pressed to the CD and require updates anyhow,
>
> no. I'm still using VC5.something at home for windows work,
> and I am STILL using gcc 2.95.something at home for all other
> work ... no need to patch them, they work just fine ...

Then what's the problem with needing a compile server to make sure
everyone's using the same version? ;-)

> > and paying for development
> > software is not a bad thing.
>
> not in itself, no, but the system HAS to come with something.

Windows Scripting Language. The .NET compiler.

> they *never* cowtowed to developers for as long as I
> remember.

You've never bought MSDN, have you?

> I never said it was impossible, I just said that it doesn't
> come with windows, if you're a developer you have to put
> half the system together yourself.

Why would "make" come with Windows when it comes with every compiler that
needs something like Make? Most languages don't need Make, so what's the
point?

> the lack of a proper scripting environment means that the
> rebuild and test process cannot be automated.

No, it just means you use whatever comes with the compiler, download it for
free, or pay for it.

> remember, i said  "out-the-box" way above ... out-the-box, windows
> does not let you do this ... period ... of all the systems
> in existence, windows is the only one where you have to pay more
> just to get more developers onto it.

Uh, you've not used a lot of development environments. You think the
compiler for (say) your cell phone's software runs on the cell phone?

> yeah, but they dont come with windows. so that story is out the
> window (pun intended :-) ... the reason that other systems are MORE
> developer friendly, is because they COME with most of what a developer
> needs to develop.

Depends. If you're programming in the language that comes with the computer,
yes. Otherwise, no.

> of all the systems I've worked on, only windows needs help to turn it
> into a development machine, all the others install tools (or prompt
> you on installation asking if you want to install)

Solaris doesn't come with a C compiler, last I looked. CP-V didn't come with
compilers. CP/M didn't come with compilers. Neither your cell phone nor your
TiVo come with a compiler installed. Nor does your Palm Pilot. Nor does the
cash register at the store where you bought the computer.

> Which is the only system to come without a *SINGLE* development tool ?

Palm Pilot. CP/M. SunOS.

Windows, on the other hand, comes with .NET compilers and the Windows
Scripting Language. That you don't like *those* development tools doesn't
mean they aint there.

--
Darren New
   ** http://images.fbrtech.com/dnew/ **