Let's Talk About Lambda Functions!

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Fri Aug 2 08:01:50 EDT 2002

"Greg Ewing" <see_reply_address at something.invalid> wrote in message
news:3D49E138.80202 at something.invalid...

> >>No, but making it a class attribute seems to do the magic
> >>(which can also be modified with staticmethod and  classmethod).
> >
> > Yes, but that's the exact problem. Methods become such by
> > being directly under the class definition.
>

> No, they don't! They become methods by being builtin
> function objects and getting found in the class namespace
> during an attribute lookup. Where abouts the definition
> was originally written doesn't come into it.

[example snipped]

Interesting! So an anonymous def is necessarily
a function.

In other words,

class foo:
    bar = (
        def (x, y):
            print x
            print y
        )

makes the anonymous function a method because it's
bound to a name in the class namespace? (I'm using
Bengt Richter's suggested syntax here, rather than my
original suggestion, btw.)

John Roth