Is it worth learning python?

Dean Goodmanson ponderor at lycos.com
Wed Aug 21 21:54:04 EDT 2002

> I wanna start learning some real programming language ...
> I don't know if this
> language is well-accepted in the market and if having a good python
> knowledge would give me a good job.. I am only 17 and I'm only making
> plans, so if you have any suggestions tell me.

Python is most defenitely a real programming language AND
an excellent language to learn and experiment with _many_ of
the concepts from the computer industry and science.
It easily accessible with a natural environment for
experimentation and beyond: Shell environment,
natural for procedural and object orientation applications,
profesional
application development/software engineering concepts well supported
from
unit testing to managable coding practices and patterns, onto most of
the computer science concepts you can think of (
http://www.norvig.com/python/python.html , for example.)

>From there you can confidently venture into other languages,
which I've found to overwhelm a newbie (well, at least myself)
with syntactical elements that  obscure the fundamentals of
programming and software development.
(I have a C/C++ background, and wished I had found
Python instead of BASIC first, as many of the concepts implemented
in C/C++ I struggled with have a much easier learning curve in
Python.)

Start here: http://python.org/doc/Newbies.html

When your lost go here: