Python for Macintosh

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 28 13:22:39 EDT 2002

Hi,

I am planning to get a Macintosh computer soon (an iMac G3, to be precise). It
should probably run Mac OS X. Unfortunately, at this point I don't know
anything about Macs, so I wonder how things work with Python programming. Maybe
some MacPython users can enlighten me.

I know that there are several Python versions of the Mac out there, so I trust
that I can still do some basic programming with it. But would I still be able
to use, for example:
- Tkinter?
- IDLE?
- wxPython?
- ReportLab?
- Numeric?
- PyGame?

Maybe some of these packages rely on binaries and must therefore be custom
built. How easy/difficult would it be to do that, compared to other operating
systems?

Also, does MacPython have a command line like the Windows and Unix versions?

Thanks,

--
Hans (base64.decodestring('d3VybXlAZWFydGhsaW5rLm5ldA=='))
# decode for email address ;-)