Interesting comments about Py on LT

Paul Rubin phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Wed Aug 7 03:18:47 EDT 2002

martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis) writes:
> > To be fair, not quite the same.  Java is a better fit for really tightly
> > constrained embedded systems.
>
> What are the memory requirements of such a Java system? I do believe
> that Python has been used in environments where memory is even tighter.

Do you really know of Python implementations, including reasonable
subsets, that run on 8-bit microcontrollers like javacard does?  Even
J2ME runs on smaller cpu's than anything I know of Python running on,
and I believe there are some implementations of the full java
language, that run on even smaller machines than that.

Really, if you don't count the runtime library and the hairy JVM
layer, Java is just a subset of C++, which in turn is C with an object
system added on.  It's inherently less resource hungry than Python.
(Of course, that comes at a price--after all, assembly language is
even less resource hungry than Java).