wrapping a large C++ library (OpenH323)

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Dec 11 07:12:41 EST 2002

I want to look at wrapping a large C++ library (the OpenH323 library,
www.openh323.org). Ideally, I'd like to be able to do this with the
minimum pain necessary, so that I can wrap just the highest level objects
initially, then work on the edges.

What's people's feelings on the various techniques for this? There's
a couple of approaches that I can think of - SWIG, CXX, and Boost.
Which of these are going to be least painful? Which allow the C++
classes to be subclasses in Python? It's a while since I've had to
seriously get into the horror that is C++, so hopefully something
that doesn't require deep deep C++ knowledge would also be good...

thanks,
Anthony