Extension modules, Threading, and the GIL

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Dec 30 16:34:02 EST 2002

David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Interesting; that's what the author of B said as well.  However, most
> of my users have absolutely no need to release the GIL, and I'd hate
> to make them pay for it just because a few strange applications do.

This is different, though. The author of A should be well-aware in
what cases calls to Qt can do a lot of work, and in particular invoke
callbacks to non-Qt-code, and should allow threads for these few calls
only.

> > The only exception would be the kind of thing that is really
> > transparently free of any kind of I/O, recursion
>
> What does recursion have to do with anything?

I think in this context recursion is "code that calls eventually
itself", where "itself" is understood in a broader sense, and might
mean "my translation unit".

So in this understanding of "recursion", any kind of callback is
recursive.

Regards,
Martin