Use of python

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 5 14:40:49 EST 2002

rui rojas fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 03 December 2002
10:27 am:

> I'm new at programming and I've been adviced to start with Python. I
> have read the tutorials and understood the basis. I have anready been
> able to make little programs but I still don't get the main point:
> what kind of fun or useful things can you program (don't compare
> please, remember this is my first language :O))? or, in other words,
> what do you
>   people, program on it?? Is my problem that i don't know all the
> modules, or that python needs to be complemeted with other languages
> or what???

        What do you /want/ to do with it? Almost by definition, /any/ general
purpose language can be used to do anything -- though some may be
better optimized for specialized domains (I'd hate to do astronomical
calculations using COBOL and, while I consider myself expert in
FORTRAN, I wouldn't want to have to code around floating point quirks
to do a payroll package in it).