"Programming Python", debugging embed example?

Chris Tavares christophertavares at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 27 01:10:29 EST 2002

"Lance" <lbrannma at cablespeed.com> wrote in message
news:v0k5vbrcg9r82a at corp.supernews.com...
> Hi All,
>
> Example 20-5 in Mark Lutz's Programming Python book works fine for me.
It's
> an embedding example.
>
> However.....I put a watch on one of the returns (e.g. pmod) and step
through
> the code. The watch always shows:
>
>  pmod CXX0017: Error: symbol "pmod" not found
>
> How can this be? I'm running Visual Studio .Net and turned on generate
> browse info. I'm compiling to a release configuration.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Lance

Generate browse info and generate debug info are two different settings. Are
you sure debug info is on?

Also, if you're trying to debug a release build, the optimizer can do
seemingly strange things like eliminate variables completely or rearrange
code or inline it. Try a debug build... if that works, you're probably
dealing with optimizer issues.

-Chris