Python as an Object Oriented Programming Language

Aaron K. Johnson akjmicro at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 21 10:10:42 EST 2002

In message <mailman.1040428892.2210.python-list at python.org>, Cliff Wells wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 08:06, Aaron K.Johnson wrote:

> > > This is not a good way to make friends in comp.lang.python.
> >
> > Do you think I care to make friends with people who insult before
> choosing to
> > understand, or who question my ability to 'breathe by myself'?
>
> I can understand this viewpoint and I do agree that Paul's response was
> uncalled for.  That being said, resorting to puerile vulgarities* tends
> to make you look bad rather than the person they were aimed at.  If you
> must resort to such tactics, it's better to do it offlist.  A junior
> high playground might be more appropriate (and you would undoubtedly be
> perceived as 'cool' by the 7th graders for saying 'fuck').

I don't consider CLP a 'playground'. I just expect people to behave and treat
each other decently. And, I should have ket my distance and cooled off a bit
before responding. But no-one likes to be insulted. That's not cool, and that's
more toward the 'playground' image you conjure.

> > I'm not a christian, so I don't 'turn the other cheek'. Anyone who hits
> me gets
> > hit back hard.
>
> I don't see what being a christian has to do with anything.  I am not
> religious by any definition and still try not to humiliate myself by
> tossing around childish insults in public (* again).

No offense meant to any Christians...I just don't subscribe to not giving
people a taste of their own nastiness. I admit it doesn't always work, though,
especially when the individual continues being nasty.

I'm glad you are a better person, who never loses his temper at being insulted,
than I. Good for you.

> Anyway, it is not uncommon for people new to the list to have some
> sarcasm tossed their way and overreact.  I suspect that if you forget
> about it and temper your future posts everyone else will as well.  As
> for Paul, hopefully he'll learn how to express his surprise in a more
> appropriate fashion so as to avoid offending people who know how to
> swear.

I have no wish to continue 'overreacting'...perhaps if certain others choose
not to step over a line of good behavior, it might help.

> > Tell him to be friendly! I have little patience for the Erik Naggum
> > wannabe...I've already experienced the original.
>
> *Unless they are fart jokes, which are irresistably funny to everyone.

I like fart jokes. Except when they come from mean-spirited people like Naggum
I find them unfunny.

Best,
Aaron.