C source viewer/mapper?

Ira Baxter idbaxter at semdesigns.com
Mon Dec 30 11:14:59 EST 2002

The DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit can be used
to automate conversions, although this one could
be pretty hard.   It can be obtained with a full
ANSI C front end having name and type resolution,
which can answer the questions of what variables
are used where.  "What variables traverse blocks"
is a dataflow question, and requires pretty serious
dataflow infrastructure to answer "easily".
Alas, we aren't quite that far along, so getting
this information is possible but not fun.

I will say that starting from scratch to build
the entire infrastructure you need for processing
C might sound like fun, but it will take you
a lot more effort than you think.
[Yes, I'm biased, but that comes from way
too much experience doing this kind of thing].
This is why we offer a commercial product;
it allows us to distribute the engineering cost
across a lot of customers.

See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html.

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com

news:pan.2002.12.23.02.50.50.847704 at webone.com.au...